Monday 19 September 2011

My genome analysis part 1

It's my birthday in a few weeks and I thought I'd get myself genotyped by 23andMe as a birthday present to myself.

The lab I run offers genotyping and whole genome sequencing so it feels a bit crazy to be sending this out to a company when I could run the chips myself. I also thought I could do some of the analysis using some of the web based tools and Galaxy. I also saw Dan MacArthurs blog about a FireFox plugin, this should throw up some interesting tidbits next time I am browsing through UCSC or the literature. There are probably some legal and ethical issues about performing my own genome analysis but perhaps once I get the results I'll ask my boss if I can start using my genome library as the control on our flowcells.

The order has been placed and I now have an account on the 23andMe website.It will soon be time to start spitting and then waiting for results. I don't know if 23andMe use the Illumina multi-sample kit, but if they do hopefully in another year or so 2-5M snps will be the order of the day. The current 23andMe v3 chip is one of Illuminas HumanOmniExpress arrays, genotyping 730,000 SNPs plus 200,000 custom SNPs selected by 23andMe.

I will keep posting about this genome adventure as I get my results and start to look at them. There are some other great sites already bringing these technologies into the public domain. My favourite is Genomes Unzipped, do take a look if your not already aware of what that team is doing. I have also signed up to the personal genome project, but as a non-US citizen can't actually join yet.

PS: Sorry Dan but I am adding one more white european ancestry sample to the 23andMe database.

PPS: If you do want to know I'm after international copies of The Hobbit, which I collect, as my other pressies. If you have an old copy lying around feel free to send it and I'll make a donation to charity for each copy I receive. The older the better but do check yours is not worth a fortune before sending it!!! I am particularly looking for a Spanish copy.

2 comments:

  1. I think this might be a great birthday present for yourself. and of course, from your post I have learnt a lot information about the genomic companies. By the way, to detect genes can also need the help of KEGG, is that right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHEN ALL HOPES IS LOST MEDICALLY TO THE CURE OF MY HERPES THE ONLY AWAITING SOLUTION I NEVER KNEW IS DR OGUDU SPELL TEMPLE. FOR THOSE WHO ARE STILL SHARING MY PREVIOUS HOPE IN MEDICAL CURE AS A SOLUTION TO YOUR CURE SHOULD STOP SEARCHING AND GO TO DR.OGUDU FOR INSTANT CURE. CONTACT HIM NOW WITH THE FOLLOWING DETAILS EMAIL ADDRESS [OGUDUSPELLTEMPLE@YAHOO.COM] WHATSAAPP NUMBER +2348106058254 Website---http://oguduspelltemple.wixsite.com/drogudu


    Am COREY ANN from URUGUAY i was suffering from genital herpes, oral herpes, shingles. Before i came in contact with dr.ogudu
    It is no longer news that the Acquired immune deficiency syndrome Herpes Virus is increasing by the day, The fear is that many people living with the sickness are scared of saying it because of the stigma that comes along with it.I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it.I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications, In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the voodoo world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, because I heard that the African Voodoo Priests had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr.Ogudu website who offered to help me, He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Two days ago to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that " I am NEGATIVE" You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Voodoo Priest via this EMAIL [OGUDUSPELLTEMPLE@YAHOO.COM] WHATASPP NUMBER +2348106058254

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.